Hands up if you’re guilty of losing sleep for work! (Or should I say Descendants of the Sun marathon for the nth time? ^^) For the 2016 World Sleep Day, the theme was “Good Sleep is a Reachable Dream.” which the Philippine Society of Sleep Medicine (PSSM) celebrated with Uratex. And they were all clear on one thing – sleep is important to our daily lives and well-being guys!
In one of the symposiums held at the EMG Auditorium of the Lung Center of the Philippines, a panel of esteemed medical professionals from various fields answered all our questions regarding sleep. And again, they couldn’t stress the importance of sleeping enough which is why they want to raise awareness on sleep medicine through World Sleep Day. They also gave the 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene according to the World Association of Sleep Medicine or WASM:
- Having a fixed bedtime and waking up time
- No daytime sleeping in excess of 45 minutes
- Avoiding excessive alcohol intake 4 hours before bedtime or smoking
- Avoiding intake of caffeine such as those in coffee, tea, most sodas, including chocolate 6 hours before bedtime
- Avoiding heavy, spicy or sweets 4 hours before bedtime, but a light snack is acceptable
- Exercising regularly but not before bedtime
- Using comfortable bedding
- Finding comfortable temperature when sleeping inside a well-ventilated room
- Blocking out distracting noise and less light as possible
- Limiting the use of the bed to just sleeping.
They shared that the ideal number of sleeping hours for a person 18-70 years old is seven to nine hours and that there are currently 40 sleep doctors in the country. Uratex also shared the elements of a good mattress as can be seen in the slide below. We all need good support when it comes to our mattresses as we actually spend a third of our lives sleeping.
I didn’t know this before but apparently we should be able to “sleep the way you stand” in terms of posture. Provided of course that you have good posture!
Thankfully, Uratex can help us choose the best mattress for our needs as the requirements vary from person to person. Even your sleeping partner will have a different requirement so you have to find a balance for the two of you to sleep well together.
Uratex also has different types of mattresses and are continuously developing materials and accessories to promote better sleep. Such as these products for a cooler temperature: the Hydragel and the Gel Pillows. We need these especially in this hot summer heat!
If you want to know more about the PSSM, you can visit their website at http://www.thepssmi.org For Uratex sleep solutions, visit http://www.uratex.com.ph or call their Uratex Consumer Hotline at 888-6800. They are also quite active on Twitter so in case you haven’t followed them already, their account is @uratexfoam.
How many hours a night do you sleep? Do you follow the 10 Commandments of Sleep Hygiene?